Wednesday, January 19, 2022

wordy wednesday...hiraeth {january 19, 2022}


Last year at this time T and I and our big dog Ted were living in downtown Dayton. Also, last year at this time I was participating in a Frozen Feet challenge where the requirement was everyday for six weeks you walk a minimum of one mile outside, regardless of the weather. This was easy for me because Ted needed to go outside twice a day no matter what the weather was doing. That was last year; this year we are no longer downtown and Ted is no longer with us.

After a doctor's appointment, I headed to downtown to get my miles for the Challenge in. My walk started at RiverScape Metro Park, where Ted and I spent a lot of time.  As an aside, during Ted's and my walks, we found street money, the random coins people dropped by the parking meters and on the sidewalks. I walked to the spot on the Great Miami River where he loved to lap up the water. At "Ted's spot," a shiny penny sparkled in the water. I reached in to pick it up, the water was soooo cold, Ted would have loved the freezing water!


I do miss my big dog. He was such a bright spot and comfort in the uncertainty of the pandemic. I used to be a big weenie when it came to winter weather but our daily walks made me realize that it isn't so bad, especially when you have good company and are dressed appropriately for the cold. On my Frozen Feet three mile walk around downtown, I found 70¢. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment