Wednesday, March 13, 2024

wordy wednesday: march 11, 2020

March 11, 2020 was a day that transformed the whole world. On that day, the World Health Organization declared the COVID-19 pandemic and it was the beginning of pandemic life as we knew it.

It was the day the NBA canceled the rest of its season. Pretty much every other event that brought together large numbers of people followed suit shortly thereafter. 2020 was the year that the University of Dayton basketball team was ranked 3rd in the nation. The team had traveled to New York City for the A-10 Tournament. No games were played and UD’s dream season came to an abrupt halt.

It was the day then-President Trump imposed a travel ban from Europe. My niece was in Germany to work for three months and her parents worked fast and furiously to get her home.

I've been looking through some drawers and found a few reminders from the early days of the pandemic. My vaccine card, a reminder of the urgency to get the jab.

I made masks and sent them to my kids in Cleveland, Columbus, and Chicago. I also made some for friends. My friend's birthday was in April and we did a drive-by, honk the horns, drop off presents on the sidewalk in front of her house celebration.

While many farmer's markets did not open for business in the summer of 2020, my friend decided to open hers. Her son built plexiglass barriers in front of the cash registers, we wore masks, we marked distances of 6 feet for the customers to stand in line, business was non-stop. We rotated and took quick breaks every hour to take our masks off and get fresh air. People were so grateful to be out of their houses, grateful to talk and wish one another well, grateful for the fresh produce. This roadside market showed the good in people.


T's parents celebrated their 75th anniversary in August 2020. Their nursing home set up decorations for a drive-by celebration. Mom and Dad loved dogs and two of their granddaughters brought their dogs to celebrate this special day. They loved waving at their friends who drove by but petting the dogs brought the biggest smiles.


Last, I spent a lot of time outside working in the gardens around my house. Those crazy times called for garden therapy: fresh air, getting a little dirt underneath the fingernails, and noticing the beauty of a decaying leaf.


4 comments:

  1. Four years ago, it seems like 40 years ago. We were in Ireland when the world came to a halt, we landed in Boston hours before the border closed, on the flight I had booked months before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like such a long time ago. What an adventure you had returning home from Ireland.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this brought back memories. I remember when we were all sent home to work from home. I really thought it would be for only a week or two. Little did I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought the lockdown would be for a couple weeks and then itt went on and on and on.

      Delete