Friday, March 15, 2024

the friday feed: gourmet rice

Back in the 70s, my mom cut out a recipe from the Dayton Daily News for Gournet Rice. It was quick, easy to double for a family of six, and tasty. The only "yuck or ick" it got was from my brother who didn't (and still doesn't) like mushrooms. Mom told him to pick them out. Easy fix. 

The recipe calls for consomme which at that time Mom took to be synonymous with beef broth. She took it on herself to use chicken bouillion cubes. And it was good.

When T and I were engaged, I bought a couple recipe books, went through Mom's collection of cookbooks, recipe cards, and newspaper clippings so I could have some old favorites to cook for our meals when we got married. Gourmet Rice was one of the first to get hand-written into one of the recipe books.



It's still a favorite. I use chicken broth, sometimes homemade, sometimes from the box, and when neither is available, I'll use the Better Than Bouillon concentrate. I like to toast the rice until it starts to brown to give it a richer, nuttier flavor. 

Hard to believe this recipe has been in the family for almost 50 years!



5 comments:

  1. Hmm, I have come chicken in the refrigerator, this could dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan! FYI, the recipe calls for Uncle Ben's rice. Don't use the the instant rice!

      Delete
  2. That sounds delicious. I'll give it a try. I love risotto and this sounds close to that, just less fuss. I've got a handful of recipes my mom used to make. Every now and then I get a craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quick, easy, and very flexible. I've used other broths (chicken is still the favorite) and have added other veggies. If you use brown rice, it needs a little more broth and more cooking time.

      Delete
    2. One more thing, don't use Uncle Ben's instant rice.

      Delete