Friday, March 8, 2024

the friday feed: chocolate

It's that time of year when chocolate bunnies and chocolate eggs are filling the shelves. Last month it was Valentine's Day and everything chocolate. January's cold, dark days are comforted with a mug of hot chocolate. Think about it, chocolate is with us year 'round. 






“He showed the words “chocolate cake” to a group of Americans and recorded their word associations. “Guilt” was the top response. If that strikes you as unexceptional, consider the response of French eaters to the same prompt: “celebration.”


― Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto


For me, chocolate evokes memories, happy memories. Chocolate brings back childhood memories, particularly of my dad who loved chocolate. He was from Chicago, home of Fannie May, and we always had a box or two of the Mint Meltaways at Christmas. Whenever we traveled, he would check to see if there was a hometown chocolate shop wherever we were. Dayton has its own chocolate company, Esther Price. Dad always had a supply in the house and he was the one who would dole it out. It was a special treat to get a piece of chocolate after dinner. 


My kids grew up appreciating their grandpa's love of chocolate and have fond memories of getting that special piece of "Grandpa's Chocolate" after dinner. They learned the joy of savoring a piece of chocolate instead of eating it one bite. And they loved the Mint Meltaways from Fannie May at Christmas.


Today, I buy the Fannie May and Esther Price candies when the kids are home for the holidays. It creates delightful memories reawakened by the familiar taste of chocolate, and brings about an agreeable feeling of happiness to make the moment something very special.







4 comments:

  1. Growing up it was Saunders, a Detroit based bakery. The second time I went to Europe I discovered Droste chocolate. Aldi has some great chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Droste cocoa powder for baking chocolate goodies.

      Delete
  2. Oooohhh, Fannie May Mint Meltaways. I LOVE those. I worked in Chicago for 2 and half years back at the end of the 90's. I bought lots of Fannie May's chocolates and brought them home to AZ for all kinds of special occasions. You've made me crave some good chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fannie May made a peppermint crunch candy but they discontinued that. It was a sad day when I walked into the store and the clerk told me they no longer make it.

      Delete