Monday, March 11, 2024

monday's mulling: the farewell bow




Many, many, many years ago, back in the 1960s, one of my dad's weekend hobbies was paint-by-numbers art. I remember him painting these because as a 7-year old girl I was going to be a ballerina when I grew up. These hung in my many bedrooms over the years but then high school happened and the ballerinas had no place on my walls. My mom put them into storage in hopes that maybe some future granddaughters would have ballerina dreams and want these pictures that their grandpa painted. That didn't happen. 

Back in 2014, Mom went into into assisted living. In 2015 my brothers, sister, and I began the clean-out process to sell her house. Mom was a saver, a meticulous, organized packer, and there was so much stuff to go through. It was a long, long trip down memory lane. The ballerinas showed up, no one wanted them, and I did not have the heart to let them go. Emotions led the decision. 

T and I have been cleaning our big storage space for our home renovation and guess what showed up? Yep, the ballerina trio. I do believe I'm ready to let them go. A couple of my daughter's friends have daughters who have dreams of being ballerinas. Perhaps one of them will want to hang the pictures in her bedroom. If not, I will find a stage where these lovely ladies will take a bow and find a new stage to grace.

2 comments:

  1. My aunt ended up with my grandmother's paint by numbers paintings. They are treasures. Someplace there is a museum of paint by numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so nice. My mother dabbled with paint by numbers once but none of those have survived. These are very well done and that have a real 1950's look.

    ReplyDelete