Friday, March 29, 2024

the friday feed: camembert

The first time I had Camembert was when my brother, sister-in-law, T and I were on a tour of the beaches in Normandy. Our tour guide picked us up from our Airbnb in Bayeaux, drove us to Arromanches-les-Bains to begin our tour and then along the beaches to show us points of interest.

We stopped at Longues-sur-Mer for a casual lunch. The menu was primarily sandwiches served on  marvelous French baguettes. There were sandwiches with meat but the Camembert avec salade caught my eye. That along with an Orangina to drink, while sitting on the lawn of this little cafe, amidst all the history, made for an unforgettable lunch.

Camembert is produced in the northwestern region of Normandy and is regarded as France's favorite cheese. Recent news reports say that Camembert may be in danger of extinction. The main fungus used in creating Camembert and other cheeses is in sort supply due to the industrial production methods used to keep up with demand.

My favorite grocery store has a wonderful cheese department and that is where I get my Camembert fix. I hope this cheese will not become extinct and until it does, I will keep buying that creamy, pungent, gooey wedge contained in its white rind, cherishing every bite.


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful part of the world, everyone should spend a couple of weeks there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go back and spend more time traveling along the coast, spending more time in the charming seaside towns.

      Delete
  2. Now you've made me hungry for some camembert cheese.

    ReplyDelete