Wednesday, October 25, 2023

wordy wednesday: hinterwäldler {october 25, 2023}

A short story to get to the Wednesday word...

A couple weekends ago my house was full of family. It was Saturday, all of us were going to an evening wedding reception, and here it was, a little before lunch, and my girls requested a veggie tart. Sure, why not? I had a bunch of veggies and I just needed a few things: pie crusts, ricotta cheese, and feta cheese. Quick trip to the store.

As I walked through the store and past the wine shop, I noticed a German wine tasting and thought, “Why not?” The wines were from the Rheinhessen region where my dad was stationed in the Army and where I was born. Rheinhessen is Germany’s largest wine region. I chose a dry pinot blanc, found a seat, and enjoyed a quiet moment of sipping before heading back to my busy, full house.




My best friend’s mom was from Munich. She was a sweet little lady. A little while ago my friend told her where I was born, she said in her German accent, “That is where der Hinterwäldler live.”  


She called me a hillbilly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment