Thursday, October 12, 2023

gila monster {october 12, 2023}

A few days ago, Sharon at Phoenix Daily Photo posted some photographs of a construction mural and one of the panels was a gila monster.

Photo: Sharon (Phoenix Daily Photo)

That sure brought back some memories. My grandparents lived in Bloomington, Illinois and shortly after the big family Thanksgiving dinner at their house, they packed up their car and headed to the Blue Star Trailer Park in Apache Junction, Arizona, to spend the winter. They sent post cards to their grandchildren while they traveled around Arizona and the Southwest. One time a post card with a gila monster on it arrived in our mail box. I heard the word monster, and imagined it was as big as Godzilla. That picture horrified me!

Out of curiosity, I googled Blue Star Trailer Park to see if it was still there. It is but has evolved into an RV park. 

3 comments:

  1. I signed and faxed the final paperwork to sell my father's house in an office supply superstore in Apache Junction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, how funny! I have to agree, Gila Monster is a pretty scary name. I've only encountered one in person and that was many years ago. I just looked at him from a distance and made a wide circle around him.

    ReplyDelete