Thursday, May 12, 2022

spacey connections {may12, 2022}

Back in my reading teacher days, one of the strategies to help students with reading comprehension was connection: text to text connection, something the student has seen or heard, something that the student had seen or experienced. Connections are used in everyday life, too. Our past experiences lead us to memories that trigger connections. And that is what happened on a warm, sunny afternoon walk. 


The intersection of Stellar Road and Saturn Drive:

I have passed this sign many times and not really thought about it. But here's what ran through my mind this time around. 

STELLAR: I love the night time sky. My parents gave a constellations book to me when I was young and since then my eyes have looked to the starry sky. The name Stella: I had an aunt Stella and now know a couple of young families who have added a little Stella to their numbers. The Stellar Way: My friend is a childrens' counelor. She wrote this book which focuses on a 500-year old star helping a girl who found her life very exasperating and has a chip on her shoulder. Through the help of the star, the little girl become a star in her on right.

SATURN: When our kids started driving, T and I tried to keep our cars at two but it ended up that I was the one (me, the mom) who was without a car. We bought a little white Saturn that would last through our four drivers. At least that was the original intention. It worked fine when there was one driver, then there were two, and me, the mom, ended up without a car. But we stuck to just the Saturn as the kids started filtering off to college. The Saturn made it through three drivers. #3 didn't pay attention to the oil light and burned out the engine. 


ASTRAL: What immediately came to mind was Gary Wright's 1975 song, "Dream Weaver."  "Fly me high to the starry sky, Maybe to an astral plane..." I still love that song...lots of good memories. And then Don McLean's "Starry, Starry Night" came to mind which then reminded me of seeing Vincent Van Gogh's Starry, Starry Night at MoMA in NYC.

Speaking of NYC...we are headed to the Big Apple for a week. Can't wait...it will be our first visit since 2019. Over the past couple weeks, I read three different articles about Zabar's, a Jewish grocery/deli. Guess what's on my list of things to see?

A couple of spacey street signs in Columbus, OH have connected to a Jewish grocery store in New York City. And if I keep going, we'll end up in eastern Europe. Enough for now.

Have a stellar day!




1 comment:

  1. Enjoy NYC, I had a gold Saturn, my it will do until school loans are paid off car, when the loans were paid off, it was replaced by an Eldorado.

    ReplyDelete