Tuesday, May 17, 2022

empire state building {may 17, 2022}

“Look! There’s the Empire State Building!” 

I say this every time I visit New York City and for 91 years visitors have been pointing excitedly to the pencil thin profile of this beautiful 102-story art deco building. The ESB lights up at night in coats of many electric colors to celebrate days honoring people, causes, countries, teams in playoff games, and holidays. Its spire sometimes vanishes into low clouds and at other times crackles with lightning. This commanding and supremely elegant skyscraper is one of the world’s most recognized buildings.

My daughter lived in New York City for four years and while she lived there T and I would visit her 3-4 times a year. When my daughter was a little girl, she loved the Where's Waldo books. When I was walking around the city, the Empire State Building became my "Waldo." I looked for the ESB from wherever I was and then when it was time to head back to the hotel or daughter's apartment, it helped me orient the direction I needed to take. As irreverent as it may sound, I still lovingly refer to this iconic building as "Waldo." 

From the hotel on W. 57th Street

View from the High Line

MSG and ESB

Up close and personal on 33rd Street

A peek through Washington Square Arch


No comments:

Post a Comment