Wednesday, February 28, 2024

wordy wednesdy...leap year

 Leap Year Poem

Thirty days hath September,

April, June and November.

All the rest have thirty-one,

Excepting February alone,

And that has twenty-eight days clear

And twenty-nine in each leap year.


~ Mother Goose


2024 is a Leap Year and tomorrow we get an extra day for this year. What to do with this bonus day? This is the first Leap Year for my two little grandsons. Weather pending, I will to walk to the post office with two letters, ask the postal clerk to hand-cancel them, and then put them in the mailbox to my two sweethearts, telling them how wonderful it is to have an added day to love them.



Did you know that there are three rules for a Leap Year? Every year that is exactly divisible by four is a leap year, except for years that are exactly divisible by 100, but these centurial years are leap years if they are exactly divisible by 400. For example, the years 1700, 1800, and 1900 are not leap years, but the years 1600 and 2000 are. (The years listed in red are non-leap years, even though it seems like they would be).




4 comments:

  1. That rhyme still rings in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I repeat that little poem in my head every time I try to figure out if a month has 30 or 31 days.

    ReplyDelete