Sunday, February 4, 2024

interpretation


Someone was tasked with putting an address on the side Swigart's Refinishing Company. The property address is 2021 East 3rd St but someone had a different interpretation. Maybe this person was handed the numbers and given the job to to tack them up without instruction. He or she probably thought of the address as 2021 East 3rd and without being told to hammer the address on as 2021 E 3rd St. 

Anyway, no big deal now. Swigart's Refinishing closed quite a few years ago.

My mom used Swigart's Refinishing for her furniture repair and then after I was married I used it for my furniture repair. It was such a joy to go into his big shop. Ralph Swigart was part of a business that was and still is disappearing. The first whiff of walking into this shop took me back to my grandpa's work shed that smelled of wood dust and stain and furniture oil. Ralph was a kind and gentle man who loved to talk and share stories and took pride to make your furniture look like new. He was a master craftsman. 

2021 ESt 3rd is still there, still empty, a high chain link fence around the property, and I bet it still smells of wood dust and stain and furniture oil.

2 comments:

  1. Great memories. There are not many business that do this kind of work left any longer. Everything these days is disposable which is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete