Monday, February 26, 2024

monday's mulling: new life, new beginnings

Today begins my newest little grandson's third week of life. Two weeks ago today, T and I walked into the hospital room and the brand new dad proudly presented his son. As Dad handed the little guy to me, he quietly said "Anthony James." The tears of joy trickled down my face. The miracle of life.


I stayed at my daughter and son-in-law's home for 12 days. My daughter had a C-section and needs to take everything she does slow and easy. This little baby has his days and nights reversed and there were some 2:00 a.m. crying sessions. How such a tiny person can be so loud is one of life's mysteries. 

February in Chicago is typically cold, snowy, windy, and gray, but not for the two weeks after AJ's birth. (I had envisioned my daughter going into labor during a giant snow storm and a snow plow had to make a path to the hospital as the kids followed it in the blinding blizzard). We took walks around the neighborhood, went out to dinner a few times, took more walks to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air and to get out of the house when it felt like the walls were closing in. 

Life starts from tiny beginnings. It's hard to believe that two weeks have passed since little grandson's birth. His cheeks are filling out and he has lost that "fresh" baby look. This little boy has already brought so much joy and wonder, celebration and hope to family and friends. 

New life happens with a birth but it also manifests itself in other ways. It's happened all at once with my four kids. In addition to the new baby, my son who had lived in Columbus for 12 years moved back to Dayton. My newly married daughter and son-in-law bought their first home. My son and daughter-in-law's son (my first little grandson) is starting his potty training. Joy, hope, celebration in all these new beginnings.





No comments:

Post a Comment