Monday, January 29, 2024

monday's mulling: 1000th post!

Today is a milestone. It is my 1000th post for House Dust and Wanderlust.

Back on January 14, 2013, I made my first post, Resolutions. With this being the thousandth post, it's obvious that I was sporadic in my writing. From 2013 to 2020, I made 136 posts. After we sold our house in 2020, moved to downtown Dayton for a year, and then moved to Columbus, I jump started the blog on September 15, the eve of my 64th birthday, with a post called transitions, resolving to write every day to help me with the transition to a new city after living in Dayton for 40+ years. (We've moved back to Dayton...it's been a crazy few years!). So far I've done well, missing two days of blogging in both 2022 and 2023.

So how did I get started with my blog?

After our 30th anniversary trip to Italy in 2010, I was so in love with the Italian life and started reading blogs about Italy. One of my friends whose husband was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB moved to Germany and she began blogging about her life in Germany. My interest was piqued.

While researching how to start a blog, one of the constant pieces of advice was to have a focus: What do you want your blog to be about? 

Oh my...blog about ONE thing? I love to travel, cook, read, drink wine, hike, ride my bike, vegetable and flower garden, yoga. I was adjusting to empty-nesting and reinventing my life after being a full time mom and having kids around for many, many years. I'm a word nerd...I love word origins, plays on words, having fun with words. The list goes on and on. 

Now for the title: You know how ideas can come in that hazy, fuzzy time when you're sleepy? That's when House Dust and Wanderlust found me. 

So my blog focus...adventures in everyday life. 

House dust...it's an everyday thing. "House" is also part of my last name. 

Wanderlust...always dreaming about that next adventure, whether it's local or even a little bigger than that.

And word nerd that I am, dust and wanderlust rhyme.

Diaday. I'm Diane from Dayton. I also taught Spanish and "día" is the Spanish word for "day."

So in a nutshell, there you have it. 



4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 1,000 and please keep posting. Your posts reflect your life as an educator, often researched and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name of your blog. It think it might be because dust is a constant thing when you live in the desert and wanderlust is something I'm filled with. I'm always planning the next adventure. Congrats on this blogging anniversary.

    ReplyDelete