Sunday, January 21, 2024

face palm


Here's an example of why you should know fractions, decimals, and that there are 16 ounces in a pound.

A few years ago I was at the Kroger deli and needed a quarter pound of pancetta. The person looked at me and said, "A quarter pound?" By the look on her face it was evident that she was confused so I said one-fourth pound thinking that might make more sense to her. Well, this is what I got, and her response floored me. 

"Is 5/7 of a pound OK?" 

(Deep breath and smile) "Why yes it is." 

It's not a bad thing to have too much pancetta.

❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

Today is my daughter's birthday. She was born on a bitterly cold January day but has brought sunshine to all those who know and love her. Happy Birthday, Sari!




2 comments:

  1. The lack of basic math skills is mind boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've run into this same thing many times but never behind the meat counter. If that is where she is assigned, she better get some math lessons. I usually see it with making change, if the register doesn't compute it for them, they can't figure it out. That must be why so many places don't take cash any longer.

    ReplyDelete