Tuesday, January 16, 2024

frozen feet

Every January a local running apparel store invites people to join the Frozen Feet Challenge, encouraging participants to run or walk a minimum of one mile every day. This year's challenge started on Saturday and ends February 24 and boy, oh boy, did it start out COLD! Frigid temps, as in close to 0°, and strong winds moved in Friday night. I wanted to stay cuddled up in my cozy UGG blanket Saturday morning but we were going to Cleveland to babysit Little Grandson and I didn't want to blow off the first day of the challenge. On went the clothing layers, thick socks, the warm, fuzzy boots, puffy coat, hat, gloves, and scarf, and then out into the winter elements get my first mile in as fast as possible.

Yesterday (Day 3) was cold but the wind has stopped and even though it was 9°, it didn't feel cold after I got moving. The only body part that got cold were my fingers. Rather than knocking out my walk, a few things caught my eye.

Looking down, a line of ice by the curb had leaf imprints in it.


Looking up, I had to quickly get my phone out of my pocket and throw my gloves on the ground to capture three objects in the sky: the crescent moon, the airplane, and if you look closely, there's a formation of geese below and a little to the left of the plane.

A little surprise during the walk...my neighbor was on her way to the grocery store and stopped to say hello. I thought she was going to offer a ride back to my house but instead she asked me if I would tutor her in some conversational Spanish. Her daughter is getting married in December in Spain and she wants to know some basic elements of conversation. It's been a very long time since speaking any Spanish so time to do some quick brushing up! 

1 comment: