Friday, January 12, 2024

the friday feed: the last of the leftovers

I'm going grocery shopping today. I haven't been since New Year's Eve when I went shopping for my New Year's Day dinner.

We had so many leftovers from the 11 days that the family was here. The fridge was bursting with food remnants. People took things home but there still was a lot of food to use.

After New Year's Day we ate out a couple nights and then it was time to get down to clearing out the refrigerator. To make this a fun challenge, I pretended that I was practicing for the Food Network show "Chopped," where contestants get random ingredients and they have to make a tasty dish. I chopped away at the leftovers, making some pretty tasty side and main dishes. My favorite one was a a creamy and cheesy cauliflower soup made with leftovers from a relish tray, chicken broth, mashed potatoes, a dollop of cream cheese, and some cheese cubes. T asked if there was any meat in the soup - nope - not a happy camper - so I added some sausage gravy and found a couple biscuits to go along with the bowl of soup.

My final dish was a frittata for last night's dinner. The veggies that went into it were onions, mushrooms, and spinach. A couple slices of bacon and a few sausage links went into this as did a couple pieces of string cheese chunked up, a handful of shredded cheddar, and five eggs. 

Chop chop...my leftovers are done!



4 comments:

  1. There is a cauliflower in the fridge I need to do something with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google cauliflower steaks. They make a good side dish or main dish if you want to go vegetarian.

      Delete
  2. That frittata looks delicious. Good for you for using everything up.

    ReplyDelete