Monday, January 15, 2024

monday's mulling: monday

How did Monday get its name?

What does the word mon look like to you? If you said moon, you’re right.

While the Latin word for moon is luna (and Monday is dies lunae), the name Monday comes from “Moon’s day” after the Norse moon god Máni.

It’s derived from the Old English Mōnandæg, later Monenday. Maybe that’s why it’s so tempting to stay in bed on Monday morning — you need more time to celebrate the moon.

The first full moon of 2024 will shine on January 25 and one of its names is the Quiet Moon. It also goes by the Cold, Frost, or Winter Moon.


Though the winter night be long and cold, wisdom beams through the old moon's soul. ~ Angie Weiland-Crosby





3 comments:

  1. Wow, I learned a lot from this post and I love the 2024 moon chart. I don't think I've ever heard some of those names for the moon before. The Blue Moon is the only one I know of. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where this chart came from. I like the artsy chart, too. The Old Farmer's Almanac has a wealth of information on the full moons. Usually a blue moon is the second full moon in a month. I've never heard the moon named Blue Moon.

      Delete