Sunday, January 7, 2024

first snow of 2024

The news of the past few days focused on the forecast of snow, sleet, and freezing rain striking the East Coast on the first weekend of the new year. The forecast in southwest Ohio wasn't so dire but just to be on the safe side,the city trucks were out treating the streets with the ice melting solution. When I went to bed Friday night, the prediction had the snow entering the Miami Valley by 3 AM and when I got out of bed around 8 AM (wow...I slept in!), just a very light snow was falling. It snowed for a couple hours and quickly melted off the grass.

I did take a walk around the neighborhood and to the cemetery to wish my parents Happy New Year and to enjoy the peace and quiet the afternoon offered. It wasn't cold, a pleasant 36°. I tuned in to the sounds around me: the melting snow water trickling into the street drains, birds chirping, a noisy car muffler, tires on wet pavement, dogs barking, a hello from a passing walker, the rhythmic breath and pace from a runner, me squishing the slush balls on the street, my text message jingle (which I didn't check until I got home. Walking and looking at my phone don't work for me.



2 comments:

  1. I need to slow down and listen to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little bit of snow looks nice in the cemetery. Great description of the things you heard along the way.

    ReplyDelete