Friday, June 9, 2023

the friday feed: sweet and sour green beans {june 9, 2023}

 In the summers while growing up, my parents always planted a vegetable garden. They grew lettuce and radishes, onions, tomatoes, peppers, and green beans. Lots of green beans. Mom froze green beans so we could eat them year ‘round. She fixed steamed green beans sprinkled with a little salt, green beans with onions and then mixed bacon in, raw green beans as a snack, green bean casserole, green beans with butter, green beans almandine, and sweet and sour green beans to name a few. At first I wasn’t too keen on the sweet and sour green beans but after a while (i.e. sitting at the table a few times until my plate was clean), this method of preparation grew on me.

A couple weeks ago, I went to the farmer’s market and bought some fresh green beans. When I got home, out of the blue T said, “Why don’t you make your mom’s sweet and sour green beans?” Wow…I hadn’t thought about those for ages. Where was the recipe? Did Mom have a recipe? 


I googled sweet and sour green beans with bacon and found a few sources that said this recipe was a German recipe. We lived in Germany for a while. Did Mom find that recipe there? I don’t remember any talks with her regarding sweet and sour green beans so I’d like to think that she got this from Frau Ding, who rented her upstairs quarters to my parents.





No comments:

Post a Comment