Sunday, June 4, 2023

lady liberty {june 4, 2023}

The New Colossus

by Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Isn't she lovely...

While in New York City, we took a trip to Liberty and Ellis Islands. It has been a while since making the pilgrimage to see the Statue of Liberty and passing her on the way to the boat docking still took my breath away. Seeing the Statue of Liberty filled my heart with hope, just as she has done for thousands and thousands and thousands of immigrants traveling to America over many, many years.

What a breath-taking view!

We took the boat to Ellis Island and walked around the grounds, taking in the views of Manhattan through the many school groups that were there for their end-of-the-year field trips. While at there, I looked up some family names and found information for my dad's side of the family. This could be the start of a trip down a rabbit hole. I don't know much about my dad's side of the family, but what I"m finding out is very intriguing. To be continued...

Also, last year on a trip to visit my brother and sister-in-law who live in Tennessee, I bought a National Parks passport when we stopped in Cumberland National Park on our way home to Ohio. That passport stays in my backpack which goes with me whenever I travel. NYC has a lot of opportunities to stamp the National Parks Passport and on this trip Liberty and Ellis Islands got stamped in my NP passport. 

The adventure and quest continue.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment