Monday, June 26, 2023

monday's mulling: gay {june 26, 2023}


Teaching was my second career. In 2004 I was getting my practice teaching hours in a 1st grade classroom at an urban elementary school. One little boy, Jamaal, was already a handful at this young age and if he didn’t like something or someone, it or the person was “gay.” One day, after hearing Jamaal call a classmate “gay” way too many times, I said, “Jamaal. Do you know that gay means happy? It’s so nice that you think Terrell is such a happy guy.” 


The dismissal bell rang and Jamaal went home.


The next morning Jamaal comes running into class. “Mrs. H, Mrs. H! I told my mom about me calling Terrell gay and that you told me gay means happy. My mom said that Terrell is happy to be gay.” 


And then with a big ole grin going from ear to ear, “Mrs. H, are you gay?”


“Jamaal, I am so happy to be here and to see your smiling face. We’re going to have a great day!”


This is an example of what happens in the home manifests itself in the classroom. The relationship between parents and teachers needs to be a partnership for the benefit of the child. Sometimes the relationship is there and other times it isn’t. Teachers need to take into consideration the culture and the characteristics of a child’s culture such as the lifestyle and values in which the child is living. Along with academic education is values education to promote tolerance and understanding.



1 comment: