Monday, February 21, 2022

good morning! {february 21, 2022}

Palindrome: 2-21-22

When I taught 8th grade, I would stop by Boston Stoker (aka BS) at Dorothy Lane Market for a cup of coffee before heading into my classroom. Nothing fancy, just a medium coffee with skim milk and just a touch of cream. The math teacher on my team had the same routine except she got her Boston Stoker from the Dorothy Lane Market that was south of town. We typically arrived at school around the same time and if we didn't see each other in the parking lot, we would run into one another in the hallway or at the copy machine with our cups of coffee, and give each other a "Cheers to giving our students our BS** for the day." 

(**BS = Best Shot/Best Stuff for putting up with lots of 8th grade BS 😁)


I really enjoyed teaching. It was a second career for me. After I graduated from college, I worked in a large law office as a paralegal. When my first child was born, my paralegal career ended and my foray into full time mom-at-home began. This vocation continued for a long time as kids 2, 3, and 4 arrived. When my youngest was in 3rd grade, I began to substitute teach, which then led to getting a Masters in Middle Childhood education. 

Teaching has always been a challenging but rewarding profession and I enjoyed my time as a teacher. I have been out of the profession for 12 years and breathe a sigh of relief that I'm not doing what these amazing school teachers are facing today. THEY ARE HEROES. When I was in the classroom, the Smart Board was our newest technology, and somedays it gave me fits! Today's teachers are running their classes in the physical classroom, online, via Zoom, or hybrid, masks or no masks, dealing with state legislation so parents can review lesson plans and tell the teachers if their lessons are acceptable, and so much more. 

If that isn't BS, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment