Friday, August 2, 2024

the friday feed: grandma's butterscotch squares

This Friday Feed celebrates my maternal grandma, Clara Louise Weinzierl, born on July 27, 1904. Do the math. That's 120 years ago...wow! 

My grandparents lived on a farm outside of Bloomington, Illinois. Whenever we visited, Grandma baked a pan of butterscotch squares which would be on the kitchen counter waiting for us, her four grandchildren famished from the long drive in the family station wagon. The drives weren't too terribly long, no more than 4-5 hours, but when you couldn't wait to see your grandparents, the time in the car went soooo slow. 

Dad pulled into the gravel driveway, tires crunching all the way down to the barn.  Once the car stopped, we'd pile out of the car and race to the house, first getting hugs and then making a beeline to the butterscotch squares. Oh, so good. 

After my mom died in 2020, I was going through her recipe books and found her mother's handwritten recipe book. I thumbed through the pages, smiling at all the memories that flowed from them. And then, there it was, the Butterscotch Squares recipe. I found the golden ticket. And the tradition of butterscotch squares waiting on the counter will continue when my grandsons come to visit at my house.




2 comments: