Monday, August 12, 2024

monday's mulling: 6 months!

Today my little grandson turned 6 months old. A half year of life. Just 3 1/2 months ago he had open heart surgery to patch a hole in his heart. Before his surgery it took him an hour to drink two ounces of formula. He now chugs 5 ounces in no time. The little guy is thriving!

Todd and I are in Chicago babysitting while our daughter and son-in-law take a short holiday, their first vacation away from their little son. Daughter left us three pages of good notes and on Saturday she walked me through the bath and bedtime routine. It's so peaceful rocking a baby to sleep. A gentle lullabye, "Rock-A-By-Baby," played from the sound machine. I sang along with it as I held my little grandson.

Rock-a-bye baby on the tree top

When the wind blows the cradle will rock

When the bough breaks the cradle will fall

And down will come baby, cradle and all.


I don't like those last two lines. My little grandson is not going to fall out of a tree on my watch. So what should a grandma do? Why not rewrite the lyrics?


Rock-a-bye, AJ on the tree top

When the wind blows the cradle will rock

The gentle nightfall will bring you sweet dreams

And morning will wake you with its sunbeams.



4 comments:

  1. I like your version much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that was my childhood lullaby. I can almost here my mother signing it. What cute little fellow. I love that smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such a little sweetheart and waking to that smile is such a good start to the day.

      Delete