Saturday, August 3, 2024

lantana

Once again the gardening catalogs took over my heart rather than my head and six of these pretty lantana sare now gracing my garden. They attract butterflies and other pollinators but come to find out, lantana is a tropical plant. Oops. Ohio is not a tropical place.


After some further reading, depending on the region, lantanas can be annuals or perennials. I had hoped for perennials because I would love to see them come up year after year but in the colder regions lantanas are considered annuals. These six plants are not lost...yet. First, it's still summer so there's a few more outside months for them to brighten the garden. Probably toward the end of October, I will dig them up before the first frost, plant them in pots, and bring them indoors to overwinter. This will increase its survival chances until spring. If they make it to next spring, I will keep them in their pots.


Gardening, just like any other experience, teaches lessons. Lessons in knowing what will thrive in the particular environment, lessons in staying rooted, lessons in knowing when to let go, lessons in balance and moderation, lessons in patience and an  understanding that things can fail, lessons in diversity, lessons in the miracle of nature.


"Flowers are like friends; they bring color to your world." ~ Unknown

2 comments:

  1. A hot humid summer, but not a tropical climate, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Lantana grows like crazy around these parts. I see it everywhere. Sounds like you have a solid plan for these.

    ReplyDelete