Tuesday, August 27, 2024

national dog day

Yesterday was National Dog Day. National Dog Day was first established in 2004 by pet & family lifestyle advocate Colleen Paige. Her mission was to put a spotlight on the joy pets bring to their owners' lives as well as bring attention to the ongoing needs of many pets waiting in shelters to find their forever homes. With the ultimate goal being to encourage people who are considering buying pure breeds to instead consider adopting a pet, the popular term, "Adopt, don't shop!" was created.

For 22 years my family had a dog or two. Our last dog died in April 2021. After he passed, I told Todd that I wanted to wait a year before getting a dog because I just wanted to see what life was like with a dog, plus our daughter was getting married. And then our first grandson was born, and then our other daughter got married, and then our second grandson came along. After three years, we don't have a dog. 

Our last dog was named Ted. National Pet Day fits in with Ted's personal tale. My daughter adopted him when she lived in Concinnati. He had been found roaming along the side of a road and because of that, his shelter name was Roamin. One day our daughter called us with the news that she had just adopted the biggest dog at Concinnati Lab Rescue and his name would be Ted. He lived with our daughter for a few years but when she moved to Chicago, a demanding job and apartment life was difficult for both of them so he came back to Dayton to live with Todd and me. He filled our lives with lots of love and laughs and so much hair! 

Today I've been cleaning and reorganizing and found the pill container that we used for Ted's meds when he stayed at the kennel. I got a little lump in my throat. My big doggy sent a hello from the Rainbow Bridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment