Tuesday, December 5, 2023

walking {december 5, 2023}


Yep. This is me, especially when away from home and want to explore. I enjoy walking and discovering where I am at a slower pace. When walking you're surrounded by sounds, sights, and smells. I was recently in NYC walking with a friend who had never been there. All at once from under the sidewalk grates, a subway train passed and it surprised him. "What was that? Where did it come from?" I told him it was from the subway below and it just made me realize that city sounds come from everywhere - above, below, and street level. Being with someone who experienced a new noise for him re-opened an awareness for me. Depending where you are, smells define your location: street vendors, the countryside air, an Italian fishing village, Chinatown, a botanical garden, a street with police officers on horseback. And the sights. Walking lets you notice details: tile work or carvings on buildings, the majesty of the Red Rocks in Sedona and just how small you are in the big picture, the passage of time in the Grand Canyon, the delight of coming across a historical marker. All of this contributes to the entire experience.

Walking gives a person the opportunity to notice. Give yourself time when you walk and chances are you will discover something that delights you. This definitely happens when away from home but it also happens when walking around your  hometown. 

1 comment:

  1. I took an hour's walk at lunch yesterday, saw things a mile from my office that I had never seen before.

    ReplyDelete