Tuesday, March 29, 2022

made with love {march 29, 2022}

When my first child was born, my mom made flannel baby blankets for him. They were so soft and much larger than the receiving blankets that were sold in the stores. Very simple but always made with love. 

As #2, #3, and #4 came along, Mom replenished my baby blanket supply and she made each one filled with a grandma's love. I used them for everything you could think of: swaddling my babies, using it as a changing blanket, wiping up spills and cleaning up barf. One of the most memorable stories of these Grandma-made blankets is when one was used to line the car seat. Child had a major diaper blow out on a two lane road in the middle of rural Illinois. No traffic. We stopped. Kid got a clean diaper. Blanket got tossed in the cornfield.

I have made baby blankets for friends who are becoming grandmas and for their children who are having babies and these soft flannel blankets are always made with love.

And now, I get to make blankets for my little grandson who will come into this world in three months. I went to Joann Fabrics today to buy flannel to make blankets for the little guy. I went with the idea of buying fabric for a couple blankets but...

Too many choices. I couldn't decide. The flannel has been washed in hot water and rinsed twice. I need to trim the edges, then finish with a double fold and double row of finishing stitches. One thing for sure, each of these blankets will be made with so, so much love.



1 comment: