Thursday, December 9, 2021

charmed life {december 9, 2021}

 Palindrome: 12-9-21


My grandma's charm bracelet. Eight charms for her eight grandchildren. She wore it all the time and I remember the sweet sounding clinking together of the charms as her arms moved while she walked.

When my grandma died, my mom  asked me if there was anything that I wanted of hers. I told her the charm bracelet. It sat in my jewelry box for many, many, many years. I debated for a long time what to do with it. Keep the charms together or take the bracelet apart and give each charm to its "owner?" Eventually, I decided to have the bracelet disassembled and give each charm to its respective person.

I talked to my friend who makes beautiful jewelry. We hashed out idea after idea and finally came up with a plan: a Christmas ornament that could be converted into a sun catcher. Choices.


Each recipient has his or her charm and each recipient has chosen what to do with it. Mine comes out every Christmas and it always brings a smile as I place it on the tree. Memories of my grandma's sweet smile and the clink, clink, clink of her charm bracelet as she held my hand when we walked.


No comments:

Post a Comment