Wednesday, October 13, 2021

sweet potatoes {october 13, 2021}

It’s mid-October and the grocery store is gearing up for Thanksgiving with its display of ingredients for the quintessential holiday dish, sweet potato casserole. This comforting dish unites tenderly mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar and butter with a hint of cinnamon, crowned with pillowy soft marshmallows.

But me, I’ve never been a fan of all that sweetness on a plate. I like sweet potatoes on the savory side, roasted. Roasting sweet potatoes gives them a whole new flavor profile with a crispy, caramelized edge and soft, smooth center. Toss them in olive oil, add seasonings like salt, ground rosemary, thyme, cumin, paprika, garlic powder (not all at once, just whatever strikes my fancy at the time). That’s my kind of sweet potato…sweet and savory, easy peasy.


Later on in the day, I got to feed the sweetest 5-month old little guy. His busy mama had a house full of people and he was HUNGRY! It’s been a while since I’ve fed a baby. Shovel in the food, kids spits it out, scrape/clean with the spoon, repeat. Little sweet potato face! He was happy; I was happy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment