Wednesday, September 13, 2023

wordy wednesday: portaloo {september 13, 2023}


Many years ago when we were in Italy, we went to a restaurant and were seated with a couple from England. As we conversed, we talked about some differences in each of our country's English. The man commented that we have a common language separated by an ocean of differences. 

In the Scottish blog that I read every morning, Angus and his wife shared their story of a construction project on their cottage by the North Sea. The workers placed a portaloo on the property for their use. 

At the farm, we have a porta potty. 

Portaloo, porta potty. Same thing, different sides of the Atlantic.

The other day, nature called, and I told my co-worker that I was going to use the portaloo. She gave me the most quizzical look. I explained that's what people in the UK call a porta potty and I just liked the sound of it.

Every so often, customers ask if we have a bathroom, typically for a child to use. We tell them about the porta potty. One time a customer gave a look that said, "Really?" My response was that she could take her child out to the cornfield. The porta potty won out.

Next time someone asks, I will direct them to the portaloo down the lane.


2 comments:

  1. One advantage of being well read, is understanding English, across the pond.

    ReplyDelete