Tuesday, September 26, 2023

showing my age {september 26, 2023}


Yes, this is me. I use complete sentences and punctuation in my texts.

Back in my teaching days, the students communicated with one another using their texting or emailing shorthand and then it transferred into their writing assignments. It was a real battle for them to understand that their abbreviated language and slang used in their internet-based communication was not appropriate for their homework assignments. Many times, I would comment, "Oh, this looks like your rough draft," and then get a WTF look from an 8th grader who thought his or her paper was a wonderful final product. Difference of opinions and difference in generations. 

Teaching them the difference between the everyday communication and why the language used in school assignments had different expectations became a goal for the students to understand before they went to the big world of high school.

1 comment:

  1. Your students will thank you in the future, when others understand fully what they have written.

    ReplyDelete