Tuesday, September 5, 2023

ted, the cosmos, and me {september 5, 2023}

My big dog Ted has been romping around the Rainbow Bridge for a couple years now but there are times when he gives me a little sign to pay attention to the little things. 

Going back to July 2020, T and I along with Ted moved to downtown Dayton. Ted and I took walks around town 2-3 times daily, and they were fairly long walks because he had to stop and sniff EVERYTHING! (He had bloodhound in his crazy DNA mix). So while he was sniffing and I was making sure he wasn't grabbing all the chicken bones and other food debris that people tossed on the ground, I also began to find coins by the parking meters. At that time people paid the meters with either coins or credit cards; the city hadn't upgraded to a parking app. When we got back to the apartment, I washed the coins and put them in a jar. 3/4 of the way into our downtown adventure, Ted and I had found a little over $50 in street money. In April 2021 the heartbreak happened. Ted was epileptic, he had a big seizure, the seizures wouldn't stop, and we had to say good-bye to this big, goofy, gentle giant. 

Forward to September 1, 2023. T and I took a walk downtown to watch the Fountain of Lights display. After watching the display, we walked down Monument Avenue to the car. Ted and I used to walk along Monument Avenue a lot and found quite a few coins there. 

It was dark as T and I strolled but out of habit, I started looking down at the bases of the parking meters and then I thought about Ted. "Hi, Teddy. I miss you." Wouldn't you know, two parking meters after that thought, something caught my eye. A coin or two? No. It was a pile of coins...54 pennies and a dime to be exact. A big sign from my big doggy. 

What do I do with the street money? Since 2021, I donate $50 a year to the organization that rescued Ted.



No comments:

Post a Comment