Wednesday, May 1, 2024

happy birthday, empire state building!

Known as a symbol of New York City, the Empire State Building turned 93 years old on May 1. It was the first building in the world to be more than 100 stories tall. The ESB was the world’s tallest building until the first tower of the World Trade Center topped out in 1970. Following the 9/11 attacks in 2001, the Empire State Building was New York City’s tallest building until it was surpassed in 2012 by One World Trade Center.


My daughter lived in New York City for four years and during that time T and I visited her 2-3 times a year. She lived in a small apartment so we usually stayed in Midtown Manhattan close to Central Park. During the week she worked, many times we were there because T was there for business, so I had time to myself to explore. The Empire State Building became my North Star. I love to walk and even though I had my handy dandy map and GPS, my sense of direction still took me on unplanned adventures. When that happened, I got my bearings and walked toward that beautiful skyscraper. 


From the Washington Square arch: Looking north you see the Empire State Building. Walk to the other side and the arch frames One World Trade Center.


The ESB from the High Line walkway at 10th Ave and 34th St., framed by the Hudson Yards buildings, "The Vessel" in the forefront.

Walking up the subway steps



View from Brooklyn


The Manhattan Bridge makes a lovely frame!


No comments:

Post a Comment