Wednesday, August 10, 2022

wordy wednesday...matriot {august 10, 2022}


The things you see on bumper stickers in the grocery store parking lot that become the inspiration for Wordy Wednesday...

The bumper sticker caught my eye but I was more focused on my grocery list and the food prep that was involved for my weekend guests. I didn't take a pic; a Google search happened and the bumper sticker showed up on the internet.

The first matriot definition that showed up was "a non-partisan political action committee supporting women running for elected office in Ohio."

Matriotism, as defined in Wiktionary, shows more extensive meanings:
• Love or celebration of a woman's influence upon society; the female equivalent to male patriotism.
• Love of the motherland, as opposed to patriotism as love of the fatherland.
• Pacifist patriotism; love of society as opposed to love of the state.
• Devotion to Mother Earth, ecology, sustainability, peace, and the survival of the human species for as long as possible.

So matriot led me to think about words derived from the Latin mater/pater roots. Again, my word nerdiness finds delight in roots and seeing the assymetry in the English and Latin languages.

maternal/paternal
maternity/paternity
matriarch/patriarch
matriarchy/patriarchy
matrimony/patrimony
matriot/patriot
matriotic/patriotic
matriotism/patriotism




No comments:

Post a Comment