Sunday, July 16, 2023

connections {july 16, 2023}

Six degrees of separation is the idea that all people are six or fewer social connections away from each other. Through electronic social media you see how your friends share friends who share friends, and so on. It's fun to trace those connections.


That pink shopping bag was a delightful connection, and it didn't happen through a computer screen. A few weeks ago my friend and I went to the Findlay Street Market in Cincinnati and I forgot to bring a shopping bag. We went into a store where the proprietor sold these handmade bags which she crafts from fabric that is 100% biodegradable. Her fabric awareness focuses on preventing plastic shopping bags from being tossed in landfills and waterways.


Anyway, she asked me where I was from. 


"Dayton."


"I used to live Kettering."


"That's where I live."


(Eyes get wide and smiles grow big). 


"My dad was the music director at Fairmont East a long time ago."


"I went to Fairmont West and played in the orchestra. Who was your dad?


"His last name is Holesovsky."


"I knew your dad!"


(We could hear the amazement and excitement in each other's voices).


Mr. Holesovsky also was my sister's music teacher in middle school. He was emphatic on pronouncing his last name correctly: hole - shove - ski.


We talked about our Kettering connections, the fact that we both played the viola, and she shared stories about her career playing in Broadway productions, the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, and working as a music librarian for the Suzanne Farrell Ballet at the Kennedy Center. After all those years in music, she has stepped away from performance and now runs her own shop, The Beautiful Bags Lady, in the Findlay Market, selling her bio-tote bags and Cincinnati themed items. 


Small world stories are the best and stumbling across an unexpected face-to-face connection and purchasing a cute shopping bag was such a pleasant and fun way to start a day at the market.



1 comment:

  1. It is a small world in many ways. That is a nice market.

    ReplyDelete