Friday, May 5, 2023

the friday feed: brain health {may 5, 2023}

A little while ago I bought a 43 oz. container of kimchi at Costco. That's a lot of kimchi, Todd doesn't like it, so it's all mine! One of the recipes that I've used a few times is from a cookbook called The Brain Health Kitchen. Ingredients include cauliflower rice, edamame, carrots, scallions, avocado, eggs, garlic, cilantro, tamari, and sesame oil. It comes together quickly and makes for a few good lunches.
My family history has Alzheimer's in it and although I don't know (and don't want to know) what lies ahead for me, I'm trying to keep my brain healthy. This is one tasty way toward that!
“The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patient in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease.” ~Thomas Edison


The first time I tasted kimchi was many years ago when I was in 8th or 9th grade. My aunt and uncle had a Korean exchange student living with them and he asked my aunt to fix kimchi. She made a long distance phone call, talked to the young man's mom, and got her kimchi recipe. Back in those days, finding Napa cabbage wasn't an easy thing to do in Bloomington, IL, so Aunt Pat searched for Asian markets in the area. I think she drove to Chicago a quite a few times to get the ingredients. Anyway, my first taste of kimchi was not a good experience: fermented cabbage (ew), spicy hot (yikes!), lots of garlic and ginger (!!!), and it smelled bad (whew!). A lot of years have passed since that first bite, my tastes have evolved, and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment