Tuesday, May 16, 2023

sweety drop peppers {may 16, 2023}

I am trying a new vegetable in my garden, Biquinho or Sweety Drop peppers. A little while ago while eating at a restaurant, we had an appetizer with these peppers on them. I had never seen nor tasted them, asked the server what they were and she told me what they were. They were pickled and they were good. She also told me that these peppers are sold in the Hispanic markets around town so that will be an upcoming trip. I don’t know if they are fresh or in jars.


Biquinho means “little beak,” but here in the US we call them "Sweety Drops.” These small, tear-shaped peppers originated in the Peruvian Amazon. Sweety Drops have a sugar-like sweetness and work well in salads, pizza or pastas, or even in baked goods. This is a unique type of pepper that grows in the highlands of Peru.  (We’ll see how they grow in southwestern Ohio).Its taste is both sweet and sour and the pepper seed is a combination of a cherry pepper and jalapeƱo pepper.


I’m looking forward to this new adventure in the veggie garden!




2 comments:

  1. Look like fun. I have been pickling things recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickling is a great way to rescue those veggies that are getting close to their last days. My friends think it's so cool when they eat veggies that I've pickled. So easy, so fun, so tasty!

      Delete