Monday, May 15, 2023

monday's mulling: plastic {may 15, 2023}

One of the most overwhelming aspects of modern life, in my opinion, is knowing about major global-impact issues like climate change and plastic waste pollution and feeling like there isn’t much that I can do to change things.


Take all that plastic we go through day in and day out. So much of the packaging that we use is plastic bags and wrappers and is used only once or twice before we throw it away. I try to be a conscientious and responsible recycler but reading reports that about 9% of plastic waste generated in the US is recycled and the rest ends up in landfills, incinerators, and marine environments is disheartening. To see photos of a sea turtle with a plastic straw stuck up just breaks my heart.


Last week I took a day to inventory how much plastic I used. Some of the plastic is single-use which goes in the recycling bin; other is everyday use which is more permanent. Plastic plays a big part in everyones’ lives. We take it for granted. Many big cities are eliminating plastic grocery bags to encourage use of reusable bags (some which are made from plastic) or pay for plastic bags. A couple grocery stores in my area have tried to eliminate plastic grocery bag usage but the public outcry was loud.


As small as my ways are to eliminate plastic usage (I don’t buy plastic water bottles, make my own coffee, use reusable shopping bags, have my own bags to buy bulk veggies) hopefully I’m joining a lot of other concerned people around the world and maybe all these small changes will add up to be something meaningful.





No comments:

Post a Comment