Monday, March 20, 2023

monday's mulling: first day of spring! {march 20, 2023}

It’s here, you all, our salvation — March 20, the first day of spring! It still seems like winter, considering we Ohioans and others, are still suffering through freezing temperatures and some falling snow, but spring is technically on its way. Time to get excited for spring break, flowers, baby animals, and sunshine!



I’m planning some raised bed gardens and have been researching what material to use for the beds. Raised beds can be made from all kinds of materials. I’ve used a composite board and wood planks but as I’ve researched, I’m beginning to love the idea of using cinder blocks. They have many advantages of their own.
 

  • One, they won’t deteriorate like wood and other materials will.
  • Two, they are built to stack, so it is easier and quicker to create a raised bed with blocks than with most other materials. Just stack them in any shape you want, fill with dirt, and plant.
  • Three, they are inexpensive.

I found a picture of a cinder block garden and this has become the inspiration for my garden. I’m going to try mosaics on the side of the blocks. A little bit of fun and whimsy. I would love to make blocks covered with bees, flowers, random designs, put the letter “O” on one for my little grandson and if other grandkids come along, they will get their letter in Didi’s garden, and just wherever the garden muse takes me.





1 comment:

  1. The mosaics are fun. Look up cinder blocks and concrete blocks, there is a difference in materials, cost, weight, best use.

    ReplyDelete