Wednesday, February 8, 2023

wordy wednesday...swag {february 8, 2023}

Well, if this just didn't catch my eye as I drove home from a frustrating trip to Walmart. (Don't get me started on shopping there!) No cars behind me so I stopped and snapped a quick pic from my car window. I got home, took my purchase into the house, and told T that the house down the road had a "Swag" sign in front of it, and I was going to take a walk to get a photo. Did he want to come along? He gave me the go-do-your-thing look.

Lots of definitions of swag:

    * goods acquired by unlawful means, as in loot.

    * promotional goods or items.

    * goods given to people who attend or participate in an event

    * a decorative strip or chain hanging in a curve between two points

    * traveling with one's personal belongings in a bundle (Australia/New Zealand)

    * bold or brash self-confidence (US slang). According to Urban Dictionary, using swag in this context is no longer cool. It was extremely over-used and is now nothing more than a joke. 

A very loose timeline for swag usage:

1841: "How about we split this swag up evenly?"

1996: "Do you want some free swag and a brochure?"

2011: "You're just jealous cuz I got swag."

2015: "Who the f**k even says swag anymore?”


The Swag sign had me wondering. Was this acquired by unlawful means? Doubt it since it's sitting on a driveway on a well-traveled road. Had it been a promotional item at one time? Even though it's not cool, it's obvious that these people really do have "Swag."








 

No comments:

Post a Comment