Friday, February 3, 2023

the friday feed: hot stuff

Hey there, hot stuff!

I enjoy a little bit of spicy in my food. Every culture has its own version of chili paste or chili powder and I have a few in my fridge and spice cabinet. 

That Calabrian chili paste is the Bomba! A little while ago I had an amazing Italian succotash that introduced this smoky, spicy condiment to me. I had to buy some because this dish was so good and I wanted to make it at home. And now I've prepared it a few times. The first time was like the restaurant served it, with corn and Brussels sprouts; subsequent times have been corn, Brussels sprouts and whatever else and finished with the chili paste. A little while ago I used the Calabrian chili paste in a sweet and spicy sauce over delicata squash. Wow wow wow! 


Yes, some of these chilis are interchangeable, but I am a sucker for using what the recipe calls for, hence lots of spicy spices around. I really like the Aleppo pepper. This spice is about half as hot as the crushed red chili flakes you put on your pizza, and easily twice as flavorful. Like salt, Aleppo pepper is a flavor enhancer. It combines slow-building heat with earthy, cumin-y undertones and a little hit of fruity tang—and yes, it is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment