Sunday, February 5, 2023

thinking of spring {february 5, 2023}

We’re halfway through winter and I’m thinking about my vegetable gardens. Will there be a couple raised gardens or will I dig up the grass to make the plots? Along with the garden planning, I’ve read The Planter of Modern Life, a biography about Louis Bromfield, a WWI ambulance driver, a Paris expat, a Pulitzer Prize winning novelist who hung out with other expat writers like F. Scott Fitzgerald and Edith Wharton. He got tired of life in Paris so he bought a rundown monastery outside of Paris and turned it into a productive farm. As WWII approached, Bromfield returned to his native Ohio and created Malabar Farm outside of Mansfield, where he pioneered organic farming and lobbied against the industrialization of food production. His name has faded into obscurity but his mission is just as important now as it was back in his day.


..."My inner eye sees past the snow, And in my mind my garden grows.”

~from “Winter Garden”

No comments:

Post a Comment