Wednesday, June 8, 2022

wordy wednesday...gobsmacked {june 8, 2022}

Gobsmacked...a term that refers to something so shocking that it leaves you utterly speechless. Based on the parts of the word, feeling gobsmacked is equivalent to feeling like you’ve been (figuratively) hit in the mouth: gob (English, Scottish) is slang for “mouth” and smack is a verb that means “to hit.” The action of clapping a hand to your mouth as a reaction to a surprising event is a less violent interpretation of gobsmacked


I was gobsmacked a couple weeks ago. My friend from college, a sorority sister, one of my bridesmaids, died from a heart condition. Laurie was an amazing mother, wife, grandma, friend, foodie, cook. She loved and lived SO loudly, that the ones around her wanted to love and live in that same way. She was so kind, fiercely loyal, incredibly positive with such an infectious spirit. Just an all around badass with the bluest eyes. The world seems a little bit dimmer now but I know Heaven is a whole lot brighter with her there. And I have no doubt that she is taking her new role of guardian angel very seriously. 

Laurie was an incredible cook. She knew that lots of people didn't like to look at food photos so when she posted a pic of her creation, her signature line became, "Non-foodies move along." Her cooking was so full of creativity and love. She didn't follow recipes, just put ingredients together to come up with something wonderful. She was, and still is, my inspiration in so many aspects of life.

So for tonight's dinner I channeled Laurie's love and creativity of food, took one of my favorite summertime recipes, a stir fry with zucchini, tomatoes, corn, onions, mozzarella and Parm, and turned it into a tart. So, "Non-foodies move along." Fancy foodies, you can move along, too. Not the prettiest, but it sure was good. My kitchen angel was sitting on my shoulder 💜






1 comment:

  1. A great way to honor your friend, looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete