Thursday, June 2, 2022

my big puppy {june 2, 2022}

Summer of 2007...my daughter was taking summer classes at Miami University and living in a house with a bunch of friends. One day she called, "Mom, I got a puppy! His name is Hunter." All of her housemates were enamored with the little guy and they took care of him all summer long. Summer classes came to an end, she packed up her belongings to move into the house that she and a bunch of different friends had rented, and there it was in the lease: NO PETS. So guess where Hunter came to live 😊 For 13 years he was my shadow. My big chocolate chunk of love. He had the softest ears. My Big Puppy...aka Buppy.

2020 was one hell of a year. The pandemic turned life as we knew it upside down, we sold our house, my mom was in memory care and we weren't allowed to visit her, she died at the end of May. Hunter turned 13 in April. He was living with arthritis in his back which affected his ability to stand and to walk. The guy who took long, long walks with me could walk only to the end of the cul-de-sac and back. He had laryngeal paralysis, which labored his breathing. On June 2, 2020, just a few days before my mom's funeral, we said good-bye to this sweet boy. At that time, the vet did not allow owners to come into the office for appointments, but we were allowed in to be with Hunter for our last time together. I sat on the floor with his head on my lap, talked to him, and stroked those soft, soft ears. He was at peace, I was in tears. There are times when doing what's right is the most difficult thing in the world. 

"What was once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, 
for all that we love deeply becomes part of us."
~ Helen Keller

Sweet puppy Hunter

Always right there when I worked in the gardens

Patiently waiting for any morsel of food to come his way

Guardian of the backyard

My two big doggies were the best of buds

The stealthy food thief snagged the peanut butter on his 13th birthday!

 
13 years of love from this sweet boy ðŸ¤Ž

No comments:

Post a Comment