Wednesday, November 10, 2021

burgoo and a walk in the park {november 10, 2021}

I got my introduction to burgoo when I lived in Owensboro, Kentucky and my parents liked to get burgoo from the Moonlite Barbecue. Back then, when I was in 5th grade, I wasn’t a fan of burgoo. My brothers, sister, and I didn't like it so we called it "bird doo." Kids.

So what are the ingredients that make this stew? It's a hearty mix of meats and vegetables simmered low and slow.

  • There are at least three meats: Traditional burgoo is made with mutton and chicken, and earlier versions included all manner of seasonal meats, like venison, game birds, squirrel, raccoon, rabbit, possum and others, hence the nickname “Roadkill Soup” or “Game Meat Stew”. Today you’ll more commonly find a combination of beef, chicken and pork
  • Some form of tomato product, whether chopped fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, or barbecue sauce.
  • Beans, usually lima beans or black-eyed peas.
  • Corn and potatoes are a must, any other vegetable is acceptable.
My most favorite grocery store, Dorothy Lane Market, makes in-store soups and burgoo is on the rotation. Whenever burgoo is on the soup stand, I buy a large container and it’s what’s for dinner that night.


After grocery shopping, I stopped at Lincoln Park for a walk to admire the fall foliage. The fresh air and colors did not disappoint.





And to make this beautiful day more perfect, Happy Birthday to my beautiful daughter-in-love. She is such a perfect gift to our family 💜


No comments:

Post a Comment