Thursday, September 19, 2024

spotted lanternfly

They're about an inch long and half an inch wide with colorful wings and dark spots — and they're a growing threat to Ohio's ecosystem.

The spotted lanternfly (SLF) is a highly invasive insect from Asia that feeds on and damages trees, grapevines and other plants. Though not directly harmful to humans, the SLF can cause wilting, leaf curling, dieback, and other diseases in plants. A large number of SLF can "greatly impact the viticulture, tree fruit, nursery, and timber industries." This bug could be detrimental to Ohio's wine producers. Believe it or not, Ohio is ranked 7th in the US when it comes to wine economic output. 

The insects have been spotted in several Northeast Ohio counties, including Cuyahoga, Lorain and Erie, and we spotted them as we walked to the hotel and around downtown Cleveland. They most likely arrived on one of the shipping boats that docks in Cleveland's port.

I've read about the spotted lanternfly but had never seen one. As soon as I saw a bunch of them at the hotel, I knew what it was. And I squished a bunch of them. 





See those little black dots on the sidewalk? Those are dead spotted lanternflies. 


These guys were always busy keeping the hotel grounds clean from the SLF infestation.

 

4 comments:

  1. I have only seen one on the wing, nasty little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about these insects a few years ago when I was planning a trip to NYC. I can't believe how many you saw on the ground there. It looks like a large community has developed there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised and dismayed at how many there are.

      Delete