Monday, September 30, 2024

monday's mulling: disruption in service

Monday morning thoughts...

Last Friday, Hurricane Helene made her way to Dayton and by mid-morning torrential rains blowing sideways came down while 62 mph winds howled through the area. Leaves, sticks, branches, and trees fell, landing on wires and causing a widespread power outage. Roads and basements flooded, leaving messes both outside and inside. 

No power for 30 hours. Of course that changes one's routine. No internet, no TV, no cooking. When I was looking at new stoves, I debated gas vs. induction for this very reason but I chose the induction stove. No regrets. House organization...Our house renovation is done and I went through boxes and boxes to put things away, mostly kitchen things. It was so much fun putting my cookbooks on the new shelves and now they are part of my everyday kitchen scenery. Catching up with old friends I hadn't seen in a while.

Todd was out-of-town for the weekend, so was my son and I was dog sitting my son's black Lab. Once the bad part of the storm passed, the dog and I took lots of walks. I also did a little yard clean up but once the grass dries it will be easier and quicker to run the lawn mower and "vacuum" all the debris.

Last night, just before posting this, my internet went out (ugh) so another disruption in service. This post was going to take a climate change bent but after waking up and taking the dog out on a quiet morning walk, waving to the kids waiting for the school  bus, knocking out some thoughts about the weather took a back seat to gratitude. 


"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity."

Melody Beattie






1 comment:

  1. Helene certainly had a broad reach. It was a huge storm. I'm glad to hear things are getting back to normal in your area. 30 hours is a long time to be without electricity.

    ReplyDelete