Wednesday, September 25, 2024

american courage

We were in Cleveland this past weekend. Todd, my sons, and daughter-in-law went to the Browns game. I babysat Little Grandson. I know I had more fun than the game goers. Once again, the Browns are off to a rough start.

Before the game, we met some friends at a small parking lot called Collision Bend (appropriately named?) along the Cuyahoga River. As we stood by the fence, one of the behemoth Great Lakes freighters slowly passed by. What a sight! 





As I was taking that 4th photo, the horn blasted from the American Courage. Wow, was it loud!

A little bit of research on these freighters, shows that the American Courage is a 700 footer, a smaller freighter. 1,000 footers like the Paul Tregurtha (1013') bring the ore from Duluth & Two Harbors down from Lake Superior and unload at Whiskey Island since they're too long to navigate the Cuyahoga. The ore is then loaded at Whiskey Island into smaller vessels like the American Courage to shuttle the ore down the river. 

After the freighter passed, we headed to the kids' tailgate where I picked up Little Grandson to go back his house. Back when I was a little girl, we lived in Owensboro, KY, along the Ohio River. On Sunday afternoons Mom and Dad would load their four kids into the family station wagon to go to the river to watch the coal barges pass through the lock system. I'm looking forward to taking Little Grandson to the Cuyahoga River to watch the freighters pass and watch him be filled with wonder as the big boat passes.

I found another WRDSMTH mural!



4 comments:

  1. I would love to love where I could watch the boats come and go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boats on the water are fascinating and calming all at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Love that mural. Your post brought back a few memories. I grew up in Quincy Illinois and we had a lock and dam there. That was family outing for my family as well. We kids loved watching the barges slip through the locks.

    ReplyDelete